If you live in Phoenix, AZ, or the surrounding areas and have problems with your eyes, particularly the retina, you want the best treatment available. It would be best if you had a world-class Retina Specialist.
A retinal specialist is a physician who has finished an ophthalmology residency and has subspecialized in diseases and surgeries affecting the vitreous body and retina of the eye. Vitreoretinal medicine is also a term used to refer to this particular specialization.
The retina is a very delicate part of the eye that takes great skill, education, and experience to treat. Retina experts utilize precise medical and surgical treatments. Vitreoretinal surgeons operate on extremely fragile tissue in tiny areas within the eye. Microscopes and lasers are essential equipment used by retina experts in both the office and the hospital for operations.
Retinal specialists are trained to treat a wide range of disorders, including age-related macular degeneration, retinal detachment, and ocular cancer.
They also treat individuals who have had significant eye damage and provide consultation in inherited eye disorders. So, where will you find such expertise, such a high level of experience, and trustworthiness for such delicate work?
You can find exemplary Retinal Medical and Surgical Care at Arizona Retinal Specialist in Sun City, Arizona, and the surrounding area.
Under the leadership of Dr. Gholam Peyman and Dr. Mandi Conway, Arizona Retinal Specialists have provided this world-class eyecare level for 11 years.
Dr. Conway and Dr. Peyman are both widely known and admired retina specialists with impressive credentials.
Dr. Mandi D. Conway
Dr. Mandi D. Conway has over 25 years of experience providing superior care and is an expert in many ophthalmological surgeries and treatments. She has worked at many prominent institutions and is a member of several prestigious medical associations.
Dr. Conway is an Ophthalmology and Basic Medical Sciences Clinical Professor at the University of Arizona in Phoenix. Additionally, she serves as Interim Chair of the University of Arizona’s Department of Ophthalmology in Phoenix.
She is always trying to broaden her knowledge and get more familiar with cutting-edge procedures. You can feel confident that you will receive the best possible treatment. Dr. Conway is an expert in the following areas:
- Macular degeneration
- Tears and detachments in the retina
- Inflammation of the eyes Anomalies of the macular surface, such as macular holes
- Vascular disorders of the Retina Pigmentosa
- Retinal cancer
- Prematurity-related retinopathy and associated pediatric eye diseases/conditions
Dr. Gholam Peyman
Dr. Peyman was born in the Iranian city of Shiraz and moved to Germany after finishing high school. He finished medical school, an ophthalmology residency, and a vitreoretinal disease fellowship program. Dr. Peyman sought additional training in the United States after completing his fellowship. Dr. Peyman was given a post as Assistant Professor at the Jules Stein Eye Institute, connected with the University Of California School Of Medicine, Los Angeles (UCLA), during his training as a fellow in vitreoretinal disease.
His employment as a faculty member at the University of Illinois, Chicago, was secured due to a meeting with Dr. Morton Goldberg where he remained until 1987. After that, he relocated to New Orleans, where he worked as the Chief of Vitreoretinal Surgery at Louisiana State University Eye Center and then at Tulane University.
Dr. Peyman’s research was continually adorned with remarkable successes during his Chicago and New Orleans career, and he won several funds from the NIH, other organizations, and pharmaceutical firms.
Following Hurricane Katrina in 2001, he relocated to Tucson, Arizona, where he joined the University of Arizona as a Joint Professor of Optical Science and Engineering.
He ultimately resigned from Tulane Medical School in 2009, but he continued to teach and demonstrated that retirement was not the end of his career. Rather, Dr. Peyman began a new life as Professor of Biomedical Sciences at the University of Arizona in Phoenix.
Dr. Peyman has a long list of accomplishments:
- During his successful 40-year career, he has written 879 scientific publications, ten books, and four book chapters. He also sits on the editorial boards of nine prestigious ophthalmic publications.
- He has received the most prestigious awards and honors, including the Lifetime Achievement Award from the American Academy of Ophthalmology and admission into the Hall of Fame of the American Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgery (ASCRS).
- Dr. Peyman was a pioneer in the administration of intraocular medications, as well as in refractive and vitreoretinal surgery.
- He was the first retinal expert for age-related macular degeneration to undertake a retinochoroidal biopsy and transplant retinal pigment epithelial cells.
- Established the techniques of eye-wall resection and endoresection for the treatment of intraocular cancers.
He is a pioneer in the field of photodynamic treatment.
As a result of Dr. Peyman’s groundbreaking research, he has received 120 US patents, the most of any ophthalmologist in the world:
- Created the first telescopic IOL for patients with macular degeneration alongside Dr. Koziol.
- Characterized the first pressure-controlled valve (the Krupin valve) for glaucoma surgery.
- He was also one of the first to implant a silicone prosthetic retina in retinitis pigmentosa patients.
- In 1985, he submitted a patent application for the use of excimer lasers for stromal ablation beneath a corneal flap to fix refractive abnormalities, a method that is today known as LASIK. This was the most well-known of his works.
Dr. Peyman was an excellent instructor of medical students, residents, and fellows throughout his career. He was a physician’s physician. For his warm and compassionate demeanor, he was revered by his colleagues and cherished by his patients.
Over 200 colleagues across the world have benefitted from Dr. Peyman’s academic work, discoveries, research, and professional training, which has resulted in the sight preservation of millions of people, both directly and indirectly.
Get the expert eye care help you need today
With three office locations, you can easily find world-class eye care here in Phoenix, AZ.
At 19052 N R H Johnson Blvd, Sun City West, AZ 85375
10701 West Bell Rd, Sun City, AZ 85351
And 500 W Savage St Wickenburg, Az 85390
With the help of their specialized team of physicians Dr. Conway and Dr. Peyman give you the best possible experience. Call 623 – 474 – 3937 (EYES).